Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Unboxing: Vantec NexStar TX 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure

The internal hard drive on my MacBook Pro has been teetering around being completely filled the last few months, so I desperately needed an external storage solution to store some of my movies and pictures. I managed to order a 640GB WD hard drive from Canada Computers during their Black Friday sales. Unfortunately the location near me was in the midst of a location change, so I'm still waiting on the drive to be found in/shipped to the store. Not to waste a trip, I picked up the enclosure which I'm unboxing here now. (more after the jump)

NexStar TX Enclosure in its box.


Opening the moderately sized cardboard box reveals the enclosure in a protective bag. Underneath the enclosure is a mini USB to two-USBA male. From my research, the drive can be USB powered by just a single plug. I'll have to verify once I've installed a hard drive. There is also a "leather" carrying pouch, a screwdriver with two screws, and a clear piece of plastic with adhesive on both ends. I'm not entirely sure what the plastic film's intended purpose is, and it is not mentioned in the manual. The screwdriver will prove invaluable because the screws that come with this enclosure are extraordinarily small. I have a pretty expensive set of electronic screwdrivers, and even the PH000 appears too big to do the job. The included instructions are very clear and comprehensible (not something that can be said of many inexpensive electronics)

All of the parts laid out.
Once the actual hard drive arrives I'll have some installation pictures posted. The NexStar TX 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure was purchased for $10.99 from Canada Computers.

Enclosure opened with screwdriver.

1 comment:

  1. How can you tell which is the best gadget from the list on this site?
    Gadget reviews!

    ReplyDelete